The benefits of Bariatric Surgery
Streamline Surgical’s Shaw Somers recently gave a keynote address on the effectiveness of bariatric surgery at Diabetes Professional Care 2018. Shaw was the only bariatric surgeon to speak at the prestigious event which was attended by over 3,200 delegates in total.
To a packed expert audience of diabetologists, endocrinologists, and GPs, Shaw discussed the background of bariatric surgery and presented evidence showing how effective the procedure can be for overweight Type 2 diabetics.
During the course of the presentation, Shaw said the following:
- Bariatric surgery has been in existence for over 50 years and is well established, with modern laproscopic (keyhole) techniques making it a very safe procedure
- The benefit of bariatric surgery to diabetics was first noticed decades ago
- More recently, many studies have been conducted showing the dramatic improvement or complete remission of Type 2 diabetes following surgery
- The benefit of surgery for diabetics goes far beyond just weight loss – there is a positive metabolic change which leads to significantly improved control of blood sugar levels, leading to the improvement or even complete remission of diabetes
- Bariatric surgery is therefore of potential benefit to any Type 2 diabetic, even if they are only slightly overweight, and the option should be discussed by their GP, diabetes specialist, or bariatric surgeon
The event was packed, with standing room only, and afterwards Shaw Somers said:
“As President of BOMSS I was able to explain the evolution of bariatric surgery into metabolic surgery. The amazing resolution of diabetes in patients having these operations and the evidence base proving that it is safe and effective!”